- Carando Toscano Ground Sausage1 pkg(s)
- ground sirloin beef1/2 lb.
- butter 1/2 cup(s)
- flour1/2 cup(s)
- whole milk3 cup(s)
- onion, finely chopped1 1/2 cup(s)
- carrots, finely chopped1 1/2 cup(s)
- celery, finely chopped1/2 cup(s)
- garlic, minced2 tbsp.
- olive oil2 tbsp.
- dry red wine1/2 cup(s)
- can crushed tomatoes28 oz.
- chicken stock, no salt added 1 cup(s)
- can tomato paste6 oz.
- dried basil1 tbsp.
- ground thyme1/2 tsp.
- lasagna noodles, uncooked 8
- mozzarella cheese, shredded2 cup(s)
- parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup(s)
Béchamel Sauce: Melt butter over medium heat in 4-quart stock pot. Stir in flour; cook and stir 2 minutes making sure flour doesn’t get brown. Slowly whisk in milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened and just starts to simmer. Remove from heat; let stand at room temperature
Pasta Sauce: Sauté onions, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add sausage and beef; cook until browned. Add wine and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except noodles and cheese; simmer 30 minutes or until desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
Assemble Lasagna: Heat oven to 375° F. Spoon about 1 cup tomato sauce into bottom of 13x9x2-inch pan. Top with 4 lasagna noodles. Spread half of the remaining pasta sauce and half the béchamel sauce over noodles. Sprinkle 1 ½ cups mozzarella over the top.
Repeat layers with remaining noodles, sauces and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan over top. Cover pan with foil and bake at 375° F. for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes until cheese is slightly browned on top.